This year, in lieu of new year’s resolutions, I’m making another list. I may only have achieved 11 out of my “16 for 2016“, but the format worked for me, so I’m repeating it this year with a couple of tweaks.
The rules are as follows:
- Every item on the list must be self-contained – something you do once, rather than something you have to maintain over time or repeat multiple times during the year
- Every item should be something that I could realistically already do. In other words, it shouldn’t require any additional training or repetition in order to be able to complete it
- Every item should be theoretically achievable within a short period of time – ideally a day, but this is flexible
In other words, rather than being a set of resolutions, it’s a to do list. This year, rather than having a set list of 17 items, the list itself is longer but I’m aiming to tick off 17 items from it. Completing one of 2016’s unachieved goals also counts towards that, although I won’t repeat those here.
In order to ensure a bit of variety, this time around I started with categories and used those to define goals. I’ve also had two “themes” in the back of my mind while making the list. Having that kind of direction made it feel a little bit more New Year’s Resolution-y, rather than just a list of things I want to do (although there are still plenty of items that are just things I want to do).
To do list: 2017
1. Do something new with my hair
2. Volunteer some time to an important cause
3. Take a spontaneous trip
4. Clear out my bookcase and get rid of books that I won’t read again
5. Complete the ICA Klassiker fitness challenge
6. Give more to charity than I gave in 2016
7. Go somewhere in Uppsala or the surrounding area that I’ve never been before
8. Read a non-fiction book in Swedish
9. Work on a project that makes me proud
10. Play a board game I’ve never played
11. Reconnect with someone that I wasn’t in touch with during 2016
12. Make a doctor’s appointment
13. Redecorate our bedroom
14. Do something kind for a stranger
15. Spend some time disconnected from social media
16. Make one of the recipes saved in my bookmarks that I’ve never made
17. Celebrate bonfire night in the UK
18. Connect with a newcomer to Sweden
19. Go to a gig for an artist I haven’t seen in concert before
20. Spend in-person time with all of my closest friends
I guess I’ll be back in December to let you know how successful I’ve been. Until then, may all your new year’s resolutions come true!